Friday, September 09, 2005

Just arrived in Japan! Thank goodness for wireless internet services. It has been a long journey, and I've only just arrived, but I thought it'd be wise to get a post up before anything else happens, because it's all happening SO quickly.

Flight was alright. I ALMOST didn't get to say goodbye to my parents in Toronto, because US customs are now so lengthy! A nice US official let me go back. (I managed to forget my purse at first. THAT's how flustered I was.) I called my parents AFTER I got in line and let them know I probably wouldn't get back out again. Apparently, dad and mom were having coffee close by where I entered, and dad was having a small cry because he didn't get to hug me! I cried a bunch, though, and mom almost broke my ribcage while hugging me. It felt very surreal leaving Canada behind for Japan.

The flight didn't lift off on time, so when we arrived to Detroit, the FINAL boarding call was being played on the loud speakers. So I had to run to my gate and board the flight. A little bit shitty, given that I wanted a breather, to make a couple cell phone calls while my blessed V60i still worked! Alas. It was not to be. Met a nice girl, Christina, on the flight over, who is now my roommate in Osaka, at the Weekly Green business hotel. She's sweet, 30, and engaged, so I feel less terrible about leaving home behind. Everyone makes sacrifices!

I miss everyone already. The flight was chock full of Japanese folks. A nice older lady next to me kept asking me stuff in Japanese, which was a bit disorienting. "Blah Blah Blah Taiwan?" "Uh no, Osaka... staying in Osaka"..."Blah Blah Blah Kyoto?" "No, no. Akashi. Near Kobe..." "Kyoto?" By this point, I was like "Sure, Kyoto it is!" I really must begin learning Japanese.

Things are not nearly as scary as I was expecting, although I do feel every inch the foreigner. Osaka is filled with bright lights and the airport construction relied heavily on the concept of PINK. Yes, pink; a pale salmony colour. Ick. Not MY cup of tea, but whatever.

Train services and the subway are UBER punctual here, so there's a lovely realization, after dealing with OCTranspo for 4 years!

We sleep tonight. It's about 13 hours different, and the flight was 13 hours, so we touched down on Japanese soil at approximately the same time we left Canada, but a day later. Even though half a day went by, we're back where we started. (But about 11, 027 kms away...) Slept on the plane. Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants was on, and in my heightened emotional state, it was a struggle not to cry. Greece seems like next door compared to Japan, although Lena WAS quite young. I'm glad I'm not in highschool anymore, though.

Anyways, my wireless is the only functional internet my roomies and I have, so I'm gonna be a doll, and share.
I hope everything is well at home. Drop me a line; I'm homesick and I miss you guys!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such an appropriate movie to be playing!! We could never forget you. (You wouldn't let us!) :-)

Miss you already!! ~ The Gals

1:39 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home