Monday, December 05, 2005

So, this is a short entry, to keep people from thinking I've fallen off the face of the earth!
Mom and I went to Hiroshima, via Shinkansen today (PRICEY!!!) and I thought I'd put up a few photos.

Miyajima...
Amazingly, utterly beautiful. This is a section of the coastline. We arrived to rain, then the sun came out, and...


Miyajima Otori...
Most shrines have these red gateways... this one happens to be floating! Actually, it isn't, but it's wooden base is submerged when the tide is in. When the tide is out, you can stand against the posts. Coller like this, in my opinion.


Finally, we took the streetcar into Hiroshima, and went to the site of the atomic bomb detonation; the A-Bomb Dome, it's reffered to as here... Very strange experience to visit it. A monument dedicated to the future; one without war and devastation... Instead of being solely dedicated to those who were claimed by the tragedy. Sickens me to see those things; evidence of a time (even though we still live in one) where humans feel the need to inflict such horror on fellow human beings. Felt the same way at Dachau concentration camp in Germany...


More to follow, avid readers. I promise!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sima said...

Finally - she posts! Oh Lily, if only you knew how much I depend on your weekly updates to keep my life interesting. Without them, I'm forced to read my OWN blog. Do you have any idea how wierd (and boring!) that is? Anyways, nice to see you had a lovely visit with your mom. I hope the two of you had fun and didn't get into too much trouble. The pictures are very cool.

6:03 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home