Wednesday, January 11, 2006

This just in...
Pity party for one.

I just got back, it's 12:50pm, and I am in some kind of pain! I got
to the school at 9:55am, perfectly on time to head to the doctor. So, the new teacher went with me, until Manager arrived. She wasa bit later as she had been on the phone with the clinic.

In Japan, even if it's a cold, they take your blood pressure, no big deal. And I had to wear a mask. AND they wanted to take mytemperature. But, get this, they wanted me to put the thermometer under my armpit. Fun, eh. Temperature of 37.2C, which is lower than yesterday I think. I also had to pee in a cup. And not an orange-lidded plastic cup. An over-sized dixy cup.

It took until 11:15am to see the doctor, who asked lots of questions, and my teacher interpreted. I told him about any drug allergies and whatnot. My teacher then warned me that what the doctor needed to do was take a test to determine if I do or do not have the flu. Basically, this test consisted of a nice friendly Japanese nurse, clad all in pinki, ramming a Q-tip up my nose, which was rather uncomfortable. (I've had a massive headache ever since she did it.) Turns out I do not have the flu, which really, I could have told them. I'd be more achey if I had the flu! However, I was glad that the Doc had sufficient proof, as when people are really sick here, they get an IV drip, and my teacher told me he was considering it! Jesus. These people
aren't kidding around.

Finally, he gives me a script for not one, not two, count them FIVE medicines. One antibiotic, one for cough, one for phlegm, one for making me sleep, and one powdered medicine for keeping my stomach settled after I down all the rest.

So, to regroup, many things are different in Japan!
1. Temperature taken under the armpit.
2. Blood pressure at every visit.
3. Mask on everyone in the waiting room, except for a kid who refused.
4. Ramming Q-tip into people's noses.
5. IV drips are very common here.
6. Tons of pills.
7. Powdered medicine!

Oh, well you learn something everyday. Time to make some macaroni and cheese. Hopefully all this medicine will get me on the road to feeling better!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home